2009 News Archive
- Released v3.3 of the System Information Unit that now detects terminal services remote sessions.
- Released v3.4.7 of CodeSnip that makes some minor changes to snippets editor and product registration.
- Added Code Snippets Database that convert bytes into KB, MB and GB as either floating point or string values.
- Fixed bug in site map.
- Released v3.5 of the About Box Component. Removes support for Delphi 1 and fixes a bug that froze the Delphi 2010 IDE.
- Updated Tip #61 "Execute a DOS command and capture the output" to work with Unicode Delphis.
- The source code for Bill Miller's Code Snippets Demo program was published. See the download tab.
- Released v3.2.2 of the System Information Unit. Fixes bug that prevented unit from compiling on Delphi 5.
- Created a new sub-section of the page where 3rd party programs are published. The CodeSnip Demonstrator program by Bill Miller was added to this new section.
- Uploaded the Delphi Tables program by David Redfern to the 3rd Party Programs page.
- Removed incorrect information on how to create a screenshot of a Google Earth image from Article #26 "How To Embed GoogleEarth in your Delphi Application".
- Published the December 2009 Newsletter.
- Added new Tip #151 that provides an alternative way to force a TEdit to accept only numeric input than the method used by Tip #86.
- Released v7.1.0 of the Version Information Spy. Adds XML documents describing version information, per a user request. Source code is now available in a Subversion repository on Google Code.
- Fixed error in GetAllEnvVars function in Article #6: "How to access environment variables". Thanks to Dejan Todorovi for spotting this.
- Released v3.4.6 of CodeSnip. Fixes bug #2898687 and some other unreported potential bugs.
- Released v5.3.1 of the Window State Components. Now compatible with Delphi 4. Demo programs tweaked.
- Uploaded four assorted new routines to the Code Snippets Database.
- Released v3.2.1 of the System Information Unit. Minor tweaks to code and documentation update.
- Fixed potential bug in Pause routine from the Code Snippets Database.
- Fixed potential bug in Tip #72, "Check that a HTML document has completely loaded". This is same as above bug in Code Snippets Database's Pause routine.
- Version 2.0 of Bill Miller's Code Snippets Database Demo program has been released. Contains snippets database as at 5th November.
- Released v3.2 of the Version Information Component. Now gets code page info from operating system. Demo #2 now compiles on Delphi 2.
- Released v3.4.5 of CodeSnip. Changes to overview pane and removed buggy print properties dialog.
- CodeSnip, CompFileDate File Date Comparison Utility, PasH and GUI for PasH have been certified 100% virus, adware and spyware free by Softpedia. Their pages have had the Softpedia "100%" logo added.
- Published 13 new tips from the former Delphi Pool:
Tip #138: "How to get the system's colour palette".
Tip #139: "How to create gradient colour schemes".
Tip #140: "How to convert hex colour values into Delphi formatted ones".
Tip #141: "How to mix or separate three color channels".
Tip #142: "How to adjust RGB values using TTrackBars".
Tip #143: "How to draw dotted or dashed lines using a pen with a width greater than 1".
Tip #144: "How to generate a circle through three points".
Tip #145: "How to compare two pf24bit images".
Tip #146: "How to implement a 'Lasso'".
Tip #147: "How to blend two pf24bit images using ScanLine".
Tip #148: "How to create a pie chart".
Tip #149: "How to change the corner size of RoundRect".
Tip #150: "How to determine the track of the current CD".
- Added four new graphics routines and a new type to the Code Snippets Database.
- Published 15 new Delphi Tips by Shlomo Abuisak:
Tip #123: "How to detach and re-attach an event".
Tip #124: "Detect if an application has stopped responding".
Tip #125: "Find the position of the text cursor in a memo control".
Tip #126: "Scanning MS Office documents using the MS Anti-virus API".
Tip #127: "Prevent system sleep".
Tip #128: "Right align main menu items".
Tip #129: "How to use a function or a procedure as a parameter to another function".
Tip #130: "Using the TStrings.ValueFromIndex property".
Tip #131: "Print any type of document using Delphi".
Tip #132: "Which COM objects to use?".
Tip #133: "Serialize application settings".
Tip #134: "Different ways of executing applications and files from Delphi".
Tip #135: "Programatically log users off".
Tip #136: "How to replace text in a Word document".
Tip #137: "Communicate with Windows Program Manager using DDE".
- Added four new window transparency routines to the Code Snippets Database.
- Updated compiler results for the System, Types, Utility, Internet, Windows and Windows System categories of the Code Snippets Database.
- Added eight new routines to the Graphics category of the Code Snippets Database.
- Updated compiler results for the Graphics, Date and Time, Drive Management, FileManagement, File and Stream I/O, Mathematics, Windows Shell and String Management categories of the Code Snippets Database.
- Five more new ex Delphi Pool tips:
Tip #118, "How to create a TTreeView with a three state checkbox"
Tip #119, "How to change the drag cursor image when dragging in a TTreeView"
Tip #120, "How to create a TScrollBar with a background bitmap"
Tip #121, "How to create a TScrollBox with its own background"
Tip #122, "How to implement an OnMouseDown event for the buttons of a TRadioGroup"
- Ten new tips from the former Delphi Pool:
Tip #108, "How to reduce the number of Set methods in a component"
Tip #109, "How to make a TCollectionItem contain a TCollection"
Tip #110, "How to add text completion capability to a TComboBox"
Tip #111, "How to implement autocompletion in a TEdit"
Tip #112, "How to create a TGroupBox with a checkbox that disables / enables all contained controls when checked"
Tip #113, "How to use a scroll event in a TListBox"
Tip #114, "How to create a TListBox that is resizable at runtime"
Tip #115, "How to create a TListBox with Drag and Drop capabilities"
Tip #116, "How to expand a TMemo while keying in"
Tip #117, "How to add an OnMouseDown event to a TPopupMenu"
- Version 1.91 of Bill Miller's Code Snippets Database Demo program has been released. This fixes some bugs in v1.9.
- Released v3.4.4 of CodeSnip. Syntax highlighter bug fix, new predefined highlighters and changes to bug reporting mechanism.
- Version 1.9 of Bill Miller's Code Snippets Database Demo program has been released.
- Published new Tip #107: "Remove recently opened projects from the CodeGear RAD Studio IDE welcome page", contributed by Jeff DeVore.
- Released v3.4.3 of CodeSnip. Some minor changes to software registration and text preview dialog box.
- Added five new routines to the Code Snippets Database. The IsDaylightSaving routine was also updated.
- Corrected Subversion repository check-out URL on BDiff / BPatch Download Page: Assembla.com changed it.
- Released v3.4.2 of CodeSnip. Printer related bug fixes.
- Released v1.0.4 of the HKEY Property Editor. Minor tweaks to conditional compilation code. Source code has been moved to a Subversion repository on Google Code. Bugs are now reported via the Google Code Issue Tracker.
- Released v3.0 of the Stream Extension Classes. Deprecated resource stream code removed. Demo programs are now Unicode compatible. Source code has been moved to a Subversion repository on Google Code. Bugs are now reported via the Google Code Issue Tracker.
- New Tip #106: "Install components and IDE extensions into the Delphi IDE".
- Published the October 2009 Newsletter.
- Released v3.4.1 of CodeSnip. User info entered in dialogs is now remembered and re-used.
- CodeSnip bug reports are now maintained on Tracker on SourceForge.
- Released v3.2 of the System Information Unit. Made some more Windows 7 related updates, extended compatibility down to Delphi 3 and made changes to avoid warnings on Delphi 7 and Delphi 2009/10. Unit confirmed as compatible with Delphi 2009/10.
- Revised Article #10 "How to create and use HTML resource files". Updated content and changed demo program to compile with Unicode Delphis.
- Revised Article #14 "How to load and save documents in TWebBrowser in a Delphi-like way". Revised content and changed demo program to compile with Unicode Delphis.
- Released v3.4 of CodeSnip that adds support for the Delphi 2010 compiler.
- Added Delphi 2010 compiler support to the Code Snippets Database.
- Added information about Delphi 2010 compatibility to the Delphi Library.
- Noted details of four new CodeSnip bugs and those which where fixed in CodeSnip v3.4.
- Added seven assorted routines to the Code Snippets Database.
- Released v3.3 of CodeSnip. Added support for user defined categories and made improvements to snippets editor. Also fixed file error reporting bug.
- Noted details of a new CodeSnip bug.
- Released minor update v3.2.3 of CodeSnip. Fixes a bug in "update from web" dialog box where latest news item was not being displayed. Also categories displayed in dialog box tree views are now sorted alphabetically.
- More new tips from the former Delphi Pool:
Tip #96, "How to use the alpha transparency features included in Windows 2000 and later"
Tip #97, "How to convert a *.bmp file to a *.jpg file"
Tip #98, "How to create a brush using CreateBrushIndirect"
Tip #99, "How to resize a *.jpg image and save the result to a file"
Tip #100, "How to save several TBitmaps into one file"
Tip #101, "How to convert an integer value to a Roman Numeral representation"
Tip #102, "How to control the scroll buffer of a TMemo"
Tip #103, "How to get the physical caret position in a TMemo, TEdit or TRichEdit"
Tip #104, "How to save and load printer settings to / from the registry"
- A further original new Tip #105, "How to send a message to a specific control on a TForm"
- Released minor update v3.2.2 of CodeSnip. Fixes an irritating little bug in check list boxes and some other little tweaks.
- Title text is now included in Delphi Tips searches.
- Five new tips from the former Delphi Pool:
Tip #91, "How to create a TTreeView without scrollbars"
Tip #92, "How to create a resizable TPanel with a size grip"
Tip #93, "How to resize a TPanel at runtime"
Tip #94, "How to create a non-rectangular TPanel"
Tip #95, "How to get the RGB value of a pixel under the mouse cursor".
- Yet more tip updates:
Tip #10, "Delete files with the ability to undo or recycle " – Added a second related "answer".
Tip #87, "How to create a TMemo with alternating colours to paint the lines " – Made major changes to the demo code.
Demos of some other tips received minor changes.
- Corrected typo in name of StringsToMultiSz routine in Code Snippets Database.
Tip #12, "How to perform a Shell Sort".
Tip #24, "How to get a screen shot of a control".
Tip #41, "Boyer-Moore-Horspool text searching".
Tip #58, "How to prevent a TWebBrowser from displaying a document's background".
Tip #74, "How to create components with a transparent background".
Tip #82, "How to create a TCheckBox with a transparent caption".
- Tip #87 has been replaced - It was a duplicate of Tip #74. "How to create components with a transparent background". The new tip is called "How to create a TMemo alternating colours to paint the lines ".
- More updates to the Delphi Tips Pages: Added a pop-up help window link to all the tips pages.
- The Delphi Tips Pages have received a makeover. You can now navigate from tip to tip and tips can be searched. Tip listings have been smartened up and are clearer.
- Released v3.2.1 of CodeSnip. This is just a maintenance release that fixes a very obscure bug and tweaks a few other things.
- Added ten new tips that were previously published on the now defunct DelphiPool website:
Tip #81, "How to implement a multi-line caption on a TButton";
Tip #82, "How to create a TCheckBox with a transparent caption";
Tip #83, "How to create a TComboBox with incremental search capabilities";
Tip #84, "How to create a borderless TComboBox";
Tip #85, "How to centre text in a TEdit";
Tip #86, "How to create a TEdit that accepts only numeric input";
Tip #87, "How to create components with a transparent background";
Tip #88, "How to write a list of strings to the registry";
Tip #89, "How to make a child form listen to broadcasted messages";
Tip #90, "How to check if a TTreeView is fully expanded or collapsed".
- Corrected compilation results for DriveDisplayNames routine in the Code Snippets Database.
- Added navigation bar to individual tips display pages and link to first and last tip on main tips page.
- Fixed error in File Management Category of the Code Snippets Database.
- Released v3.2 of CodeSnip that adds support for using a proxy server when accessing the internet.
- Added five new file management routines to the Code Snippets Database.
- Released v3.1.1 of CodeSnip thats makes some minor user interface changes.
- Added seven new tips that were previously published on the now defunct DelphiPool website:
Tip #74, "How to create components with a transparent background";
Tip #75, "How to use a TControlCanvas in a component";
Tip #76, "How to implement drag and drop at design time";
Tip #77, "How to set boundaries for newly created controls";
Tip #78, "How to enable scrollbars at design time";
Tip #79, "How to define a minimum size for a component";
Tip #80, "How to trap the ALT key state in a visual component".
- Released v3.1 of CodeSnip thats adds facility to preview extra information markup entered in snippets editor.
- Corrected attribution of the Encrypt & Decrypt functions tip to Steve Schafer of TeamB.
- Published the August 2009 Newsletter.
- Modified the CodeSnip download page to note that the program's source code is now available in a Subversion repository on SourceForge. Also modified license page to display text license.
- Released v0.2.6a of the BDiff / BPatch Utilities. Removed source code from main release and made available as separate download. Source code revised and make bug fixed.
- Released v0.2.6 of the BDiff / BPatch Utilities. Minor tweaks to programs, some refactoring and new test scripts.
- Modified BDiff / BPatch Utilities download page to note that the program's source code is now available in a Subversion repository on Assembla.com.
- Modified CompFileDate's pages to note that CompFileDate is now a SourceForge project and releases and Subversion VCS are available there.
- Released v3.0.5 of CodeSnip. Appropriate font for underlying OS is now used in main display and dialog boxes.
- Added five new utility routines to the Code Snippets Database.
- Added new IsCharInSet routine and TCharSet type to the Code Snippets database. These new snippets require CodeSnip v3 or later to be viewed offline. Modified some other routines to work with these new routines (for CodeSnip v3 and later).
- Version 1.7 of Bill Miller's Code Snippets Database Demo program has been released.
- Released new version 1 File Date Comparison Utility console application that compares the modification date of two files.
- Released v3.0.4 of CodeSnip. Now shows a snippet's category in main display and in print info copied to clipboard. By request.
- Fixed a bug in the PadCenter routine in the Code Snippets Database.
- Added six new string routines to the Code Snippets Database.
- Released v3.0.2 of CodeSnip. Bug fixes.
- Released v3.0.1 of CodeSnip. By request, added support for displaying local files from the extra information displayed with a snippet.
- New version 3 of the CodeSnip code snippets repository has been released. Now has support for Delphi types and constants as well as routines amongst other updates.
- The Code Snippets Database has been revised to display type and constant definitions as well as routines.
- A new ExeType routine that detects the type of an executable file has been added to the Code Snippets Database. A supporting type definition has also been added. (CodeSnip v3 is required to view these off line.)
- Added new tip #73, "Encrypt and decrypt functions".
- Added four new routines to the system category of the Code Snippets Database.
- Added five new routines to the date category of the Code Snippets Database.
- Added new tip #71, "How to extract the title of an HTML document".
- Added new tip #72, "Check that a HTML document has completely loaded".
- New article #26 "How To Embed GoogleEarth in your Delphi Application", by David Hawk, was published.
- Added a few photos to the About DelphiDabbler.
- Published the June 2009 Newsletter.
- Added the name of an the author to an article's precis on the articles summary page.
- Updated copyright page to show that each article now has its own copyright and licensing statement instead of a catch-all copyright.
- The PasH Pascal Highlighter has finally made it to a v1.0 release after several years in beta. New command line switch added and code tidied up.
- v1.4 of Bil Miller's Code Snippets Demo program was released.
- Added two new routines to the Mathematics category of the Code Snippets Database, courtesy of Don Rowlett.
- Revised Newsletter page to display available newsletters in a table instead of a list.
- Added seven new routines to the Date and Time category of the Code Snippets Database.
- Released v2.4 of the CodeSnip Database Viewer. Added a "Donate" menu option and removed support for Windows 9x platform. Installer now requires a Windows NT platform.
- v1.2 of Bil Miller's Code Snippets Demo program was released.
- Added five new routines to the Code Snippets Database. Four of these routines get the display dimensions of various graphic files while the other is a support routine for reading big-endian words.
- Corrected errors in Tip #19 "How to read bitmap file information".
- Added new tip #70, "File Open/Save Common Dialog Control IDs".
- Released v2.3.7 of the CodeSnip Database Viewer. User names and email addresses submitted via the Code Submission Wizard are now persistent (requested by user).
- Released v3.1 of the System Information Unit that adds support for detecting Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and makes a stab at making the unit compatible with Delphi 2009.
- Provided a work-around for a rendering problem in IE 7 that was sometimes hiding the page heading when Google Ads were displayed.
- Modified Search page to display Google Ads.
- Replaced erroneous February 2009 newsletter with correct edition.
- Corrected an error on the BDiff / Batch Utilities Download Page.
- Updated tip #28, "How to check if the BDE is installed" by adding two more solutions.
- v1.1 of Bil Miller's Code Snippets Demo program was released.
- Published the April 2009 Newsletter.
- Added two new routines to the Code Snippets Database that convert numbers to their english language equivalents. Thanks to Bill Miller for the original code.
- Fixed an error in the Mathematics category of the Code Snippets Database that was causing v1.x versions of the CodeSnip Database Viewer to report a corrupt database.
- Added separate donation page that centralises donations.
- Added four new scrollbar routines to the Code Snippets Database.
- Bill Miller has contributed a demo program that demonstrates the use of many of the routines from the Code Snippets Database.
- Reset click counter on Links page.
- Updated list of test browsers on Compatibility page.
- Added a PayPal "Donate" button to the site.
- Revised home page.
- Updated seven routines from the Code Snippets Database to be compatible with Delphi 2009.
- Updated IsDirectory routine and added five new file arribute routines, along with one new utility routine to the Code Snippets Database.
- Added a new section to article #19 – "How to make a TWebBrowser become the active control when clicked" that provides a second and better solution to the problem (provided by Bärje Henriksson).
- Updated one routine and added three new routines to the Mathematics category of the Code Snippets Database.
- Updated article #13 – "How to run a single instance of an application" – to note some issues that may occur on later Delphi compilers.
- Published the February 2009 Newsletter.
- Fixed bug in Code Snippets submission web service that caused service to crash if a submission greater than 8Kb was made.
- Added three new routines to the System and Mathematics categories of the Code Snippets database.
- Released v2.3.5 of the Code Snippets Database Viewer that rolls up various unreleased improvements. Fixes some bugs, adds some UI improvements and copies snippets to clipboard in syntax highlighted rich text in addition to plain text.
- Added three new routines to the Code Snippets database.
- Uploaded release 2.3 of the Code Snippets Database Viewer that updates and adds to the UI.
- Added eight new string management routines to the Code Snippets Database and updated the CompressWhiteSpace routine for compatibility with Delphi 2009. Thanks to Bill Miller for some of these contributions.